14 September 2008

Done and nearly dusted.....

It's been another one of THOSE weeks. Noah came down with a nasty virus and temperature on Monday and we were back to the juggling act of looking after a sick boy, trying to get through a busy week at work, all whilst I was preparing for my last PAS workhsop.

Mark, still suffering from awful pain in his tooth, took Noah home after only an hour at daycare on Monday, then came back to town for the first half of a root canal later in the afternoon. When Mark asked the dentist whether he had found the right tooth, the dentist said 'If you consider that tooth was half dead and full of pus, then yes we got the right one!' I'm not too sure how Mark even made it to Monday given the pain he must have been in. The second half of the treatment is tomorrow but he has been a different man this weekend compared to last, and I don't think he has given his tooth a second's thought since getting some positive action on it on Monday!

I took Tuesday off and Noah was in reasonable spirits - we enjoyed a trip out to the airport to watch the planes - not that there were many planes taking off but we enjoyed a coffee/fluffy and the buzz of being at the airport amongst all the coming and going nonetheless. By all accounts, Mark had a tougher day on Wednesday with him, and there was lots of 'Muuuuuummmmmeeeeee, Muuuuuuuummmmmmmeeee' going on. After a trip to the doctor just to confirm all was in order combined with a trip to see Mummy at work for some cuddles and reassurance, Noah and Daddy headed off to the zoo to wile away some time. Noah wasn't back to 100% on Thursday, but we gave it a go sending him back to daycare and he lasted the day, and also more importantly, Friday, where Mark and I both were on courses and we were going to be a bit stuck had Noah still been ill in the afternoon. Thankfully Allie (Baba's sister) had kindly agreed to be our backup for the afternoon just in case. As it turns out we didn't have to call on her, but it was a relief to know we had someone lined up as we are always a little short on local support in times like this.

Well, I have reached a milestone this weekend, no more accounting workshops! It hardly seems possible that 5 months ago I was attending my first one just as we were heading off to England, and trying to get Noah over his ear infection in time to fly out! Out of the six workshops I have attended, Noah has been sick on 3 of the weeks leading up to the workshops, so there have been some stressful weeks in our housefhold in the leadup to these events. Luckily, my policy for being super organised and always getting through the study well in advance has paid off when things have gone a little 'pete tong' in the few days beforehand. Now, I have just over 6 weeks to go till the big 6-hour exam and then it will REALLY be all over....bring it on.

Today, we enjoyed a lovely family day out together to Staglands Wildlife Reserve - an hour's drive away in the Akatarawa hills between Upper Hutt and Waikanae. It is a picturesque spot, totally away from it all, with a winding goat track of a road to get there, and having heard this, I was quick to offer to drive! The day had been organised by a couple of the mums at daycare, and we met up with 4 other families for the journey around the reserve. Noah was happy to see his friends Phoebe, George, Maya, Arnav, and Ryder, and seemed very confident in their company. It was interesting to see him at times striding off ahead of all the others, and engaging in conversations and play with them all. The animals were all very friendly and happy to eat out of our hands, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at how confident Noah was to be close to them (not necessarily touching them but then none of the kids were overly keen to do that!). We had a lovely lunch together out in the sun, and then home mid-afternoon.

We are going through a little bit of a trying time with Noah at the moment, and think it must be a sign of the him trying to push the boundaries now he's in those 'terrible twos'. Nothing major, we are just finding him a little whingey, and crying for no good reason (when there really is nothing wrong other than not getting his own way or seeking attention). We have had to threaten the naughty corner a few times, and have been trying to ignore it at other times. We will have to keep a united front and try to distinguish between times when he is in fact genuinely upset vs. just trying it on.

That being said, he is also so darned lush at times that it is all I can do not to squeeze him and cuddle him endlessly. This week, on a couple of occasions when I was play-acting being sad when we were playing together, he rubbed my face and head and said 'You're alright, Mummy, it's all right'. So adorable! Tonight, when I was trying to tell him that something he really wanted to eat was still too hot, he started touching bits of it saying 'it's not too bad, Mummy'. Even with the maddening times when it is all one can do not to scream back in frustration, it only takes just one adoring look, or impromptu cuddle or gorgeous unexpected turn of phrase to be spoken to put the world to rights....and the timing is always perfect to bring back the balance.

This week, we have a short week and a road trip to GeeGee's to look forward to where we will also catch up with Nana and Poppa. This is something to really look forward to, as it is not only our first road trip since before going to England in April, but we're taking Baba's Alfa Romeo for a run-out as it has been confined to local journeys since she went to England. Mark is already drooling at the thought!

No comments :


Related Posts with Thumbnails