07 May 2008

Short trips and bluebell walks

Whilst we have had a fabulous time galivanting around the countryside, it is also lovely to be back amongst the peace and quiet of Grandma's garden after a few hectic days away catching up with dear family and friends.

On Friday we went up to Wales and the catch-cry of 'Ann-Mree' got more and more frequent the closer we got to their house. Whilst the big boys went out to the pub for a quick pint, the girls and the little boys enjoyed some bathtime fun. Then the adults enjoyed a tasty curry from the local curry house and then a spot of ten-pin bowling on the Wii. I was pleasantly surprised to beat Mark and Ann-Marie on my first ever go on it!


We had a lazy Saturday morning in anticipation of the big P.A.R.T.Y on Saturday afternoon. Jack went to his party dressed as one of the Power Rangers (don’t ask me which one!) complete with sword to boot. It was a chaotic but fun two hours with bouncy castles, kids galore and even a Dr. Who birthday cake complete with very blue icing (which made for some interesting nappy changes for Noah the next day!). By all accounts, a very successful and enjoyable party all round!
After a relaxing Saturday night in (which us adults needed), we hit the road early on Sunday to get back to Somerset to catch up with my dear friend Rachel and her partner Nev who had very kindly driven up from Southampton to catch up with us for lunch. It was about 8 years ago that I first met Rachel when we worked together at the infamous Archer McGrath recruitment company in London. So much time has passes since those days but it is lovely to know we can still get together and enjoy each other’s company after all this time!
Monday morning, we were off again, this time to Reading but with a short detour to Staines on the way (Ali G country) to see the gorgeous Claire, who cooked us a lovely brunch which was most needed after the 2-hour journey. After a brief but delightful hour or so, we then headed to Reading to see more dear friends, this time Mark and Mary-Ann who were both in our bridal party. We enjoyed a relaxed afternoon around their home, Noah had his first experience of being a policeman, and we took a quick trip to the nearest park, where Noah was determined to stick a daisy in his ear (not quite understanding the point the ‘over the ear’ look).


After eating like kings with Mary-Ann’s 3-course meal, we spent the evening catching up on all the news. What has been so wonderful this time as per other times is how easily we can pick up on the friendships even though two years has past since we last spent time together, which is of course a sign of true friendship, and just how friendships should be!

Tuesday morning, we headed back to Somerset but with a mini detour so that Noah could take his first ever real train journey (3 stops to Yeovil). He appeared to enjoy it, but seemed to be just as excited about seeing 2 goats near Yeovil station whilst we waited for Daddy to catch us up in the car! Later in the afternoon, we joined Grandma & Grandad in a scenic and stunning sojourn through ‘Ladies Walk’ complete with a sea of pretty purple bluebells, and more animals than we could throw Grandad’s stick at. We even saw 2 alpacas (or ‘makkas’ as Noah called them) just for you Nana and Poppa!

Later in the day (which was an extremely warm one) we let Noah have some nappy off time while helping Daddy wash Grandma’s car!

No comments :


Related Posts with Thumbnails