That's probably because for a good long while there wasn't a lot of baking going on in our house - we were too busy trying to be healthy and not have too many naughty treats in the house and there was the inconvenience of also having to keep the house looking immaculate for open homes so it was easier just not to make a mess in the kitchen in the first place.
But now that that's all out of the way.... not the trying to be healthy bit (we're still doing that!), there's definitely more time for a little indulgence in the kitchen.
We've been trying to empty out the freezer little by little, so when I saw a few old frozen bananas hanging round I went in search of something tasty to make. This ticked all the boxes!
Banana and walnut loaf (gluten-free, dairy-free, sugar-free)3 large bananas
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
3 tbsp honey/maple syrup
3 tbsp full-fat coconut milk/cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
4 tbsp ground almond
4 tbsp coconut flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cocoa
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tbsp slivered almonds
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Grease a loaf tin and line it with baking paper.
2. Put bananas, eggs, honey/maple syrup, vanilla extract and apple cider vinegar in the blender and mix until a smooth consistency.
3. Sift in the ground almond, coconut flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and add the salt and walnuts.
4. Fold gently to combine.
5. Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf tin. Sprinkle the slivered almonds over the top. Then bake for approximately 60 minutes - or until it feels springy to the touch and a cake
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning out of the tin and cooling on a wire rack.
And the verdict was utterly scrump-diddly-umptious. It's definitely one of those recipes that's going to be made time and time again!