The thing I love most about this recipe is that the ingredients in this recipe look almost identical to the homemade muesli I eat for breakfast in the mornings so I'm usually guaranteed to have most ingredients in the cupboard - with the only added naughtiness (there has to be SOME!) a tin of condensed milk.
1 can of condensed milk
250g rolled oats (I used a mixture of about 2/3 whole and 1/3 milk oaties so they bind together better)
75g shredded coconut
100g dried cranberries or other dried fruit (I used sultanas and dried apricots this time round)
125g seeds (I use a mixture of pumpkin, sesame, sunflower)
125g natural unsalted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 130 degrees Celsius and line a baking tin with baking paper
- Warm condensed milk in a pan
- Mix together all the other ingredients and add the warmed condensed milk using a rubber or wooden spatula to fold and distribute
- Spread the mixture into the tin and press down really firmly with the spatula, or better still, your hands - although they will get very sticky and this will be the perfect excuse to try some!
- Bake for 1 hour, then remove from oven. Wait till no longer hot to touch and cut into four by four to make 16 chunky bars.
Now go and feed those hungry mouths including your own - and give yourself a little pat yourself on the back for putting something in their mouths that is half healthy in the process :-)